Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:48:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        SDBUG <SDBug@SDBug.Org>
Subject:   How to mount FreeBSD from Debian or any Linux possibly

I thought I would GIVE BACK to the BSD community and share my breakthrough:

Here is how to mount your freebsd partition from Linux (in my case, it was
a CD-R of the Debian-based bootable known as Knoppix available from
www.knoppix.net).  As long as your Linux environment can "see" the
partition, such as /mnt/hda2 (for example), you first

$ umount /mnt/hda2
$ mkdir /mnt/freebsdpartition
$ mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/hda2 /mnt/freebsdpartition

The only thing I could not figure out was how to "su" my currently-running
X session.  That would allow me to use KDE and Konqueror to browse
graphically to the directory /mnt/freebsdpartition ... anyone know how?

Happy holidays everyone, and happy reading-of-the-manpages!!  :0)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services