Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 02:01:40 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A way to tell wich security patches are installed [Was: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?]

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:58:44AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Why not 4.4.1-RELEASE, 4.4.2-RELEASE, etc
> It's simple, to the point. Implies upgrades. Allows you to quickly determine
> exactly how current a particular system is with regards to patches, and
> follows long-standing conventions.
>
> Just my $.02
> -Bill

Because there are two kinds of patches applied to the RELENG_4_3 branch,
some kernel patches and some userland patches, there are a few problems
I have seen mentioned:

1) A userland patch like telnetd does not require you to reboot, so why
go through that and recompiling a kernel just to have an updated "uname -r".

2) A kernel patch requires you to reboot, so a change in the uname -r
output can be seen.

What I suggest is as follows:  have the uname-r change after the first
patch (RELEASEPLUS or anything you suggest, just have an indication that
something has changed from the original -RELEASE).

Keep a patch level for the kernel in the -RELEASEPLUS tag (something
like RELEASEPLUS01, 02...) and have the userland patches install an
empty file with a suggestive name in a standard location (probably under
/var), something like /var/patches/telnetd-01, /var/patches/openssl-01,
etc.

These files under /var/patches could be created by the Makefiles of the
respective daemons/programs/libraries, on install, if upgrading via
source.  Also, the upgrading via packages could probably add those files
just as easily.  I am not sure wether there are other methods of
upgrading (I count build/installworld as a source upgrade, and this
could also clean /var/patches).

Since the latest upgrade of the program should leave the latest "patch
evidence", it should be easy to just have a look at /var/patches and see
"Oh, I missed the openssl upgrade".  To avoid problems of installing
older packages, the install script could clean other patch evidence
regarding to that package, like "rm /var/patches/telnetd-*; touch
/var/patches/telnetd-01".  This way accidentally downgrading a package
should also be noticed.

Kernel upgrades should be reflected in uname, so those are not that
complicated.

It might be worth noting that this still leaves questions like "I have
4.3-RELEASEPLUS02, is my telnetd vulnerable" answered a little oddly,
"Check that you have at least /var/patches/telnetd-01 or you are
vulnerable".

Sorry if this does not make much sense, it is 01:51am now and I need
sleep.

(on a side note, -FAIRINGS seems like a good idea)

Have Fun!
	Alex