Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:46:55 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Salvo Bartolotta' <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: About the installation problem on IDE CDROM

Hi,  I'm going to answer the questions I can..

Please don't post in HTML in the future, many people on this list don't use
HTML enabled mailers and will just ignore your postings.

See below...

	That's the "live filesystem cdrom".  I've never tried booting from
that so I don't know exactly what would happen.  If the system boots, I
assume it installed properly.

> It almost goes without saying that the installation process went on, and
> when the "last chance" dialog box appeared, I reinserted CD # 1 - if bugs
> have logic ... - and the installation was  practically completed.
> By the way, I chose to install "All".
>

> N.B. I am no FreeBSD guru; rather, I am a novice, and I even did NOT look
> at the content of CD #1 and # 2 at the time of the trial - it was just
> (insane) "instant decision" (or trial).
>
> And I do NOT know exactly what to think of the whole thing.
>
> At any rate, maybe I have detected  a couple of minor bugs.
>

> **************************************Problem I
> I found no way to install the package "local". The installation process
> copies all the OS packages (choice "All") except "local".  It goes without
> saying that I have tried a post install configuration (/stand/sysinstall
> ...), and I have tried all four CDs. Unfortunately, the "local" package
> (=local additions) is not in any of the four CDs. However, the system, on
> the whole, seems to work almost properly :-)

	Right-O, the "local" packages appear to be a place that was added to
the installation for custom packages to be added to the installation.  I
assume this would be for internal use at a company that needed to add
something to the base install.

	In otherwords, it's ok that it didn't work as there's nothing in
there to install.

> **************************************Problem II
> I have been experiencing problems with the Gnome + Enlightenment
> environment.
> When starting X, I sometimes receive a "Gnome non compliant error"; the
> mouse pointer shape is always a cross and does NOT change its form; the X
> environment is always NOT functional, ie the mouse does NOT work properly,
> right-clicking does NOT work etc.
>
> If I launch the Gnome Control Center applet and if I change Windows
> Managers (e.g. any other W.M. instead of Enlightenment), and then I choose
> Enlightment again, the mouse pointer magically acquires its normal "arrow"
> form, and everything seems to work properly since that very moment.
> If I log out ... alas, I have to repeat the process again, ie launching
> Gnome Control Center, changing W.M.s etc.
>
> A far as I can see, it is a problem of (non-proper) initialization of
> Enlightenment, but I am a FreeBSDS novice and I know no fixing script or
> workaround at the moment :-(
>
> I would like to be able to seamlesly switch dekstop environments as in
> Linux (e.g. options at login)  ... ;-)

	Sorry, not my forte!  Hopefully someone else can comment on this.
(Choosing desktops at login would require configuring xdm).
> *****************
>
> Finally, if I do not ask too much, could you let me know whether this
> "installation" of mine can reasonably be fixed ?

	Don't imagine why not, doesn't appear to be that broken to begin
with.  As you probably know, the problem with the install cdrom not booting
was listed in the ERRATA and is a know issue.  It appears the only real
problem that you are having is the X-Win problem, and hopefully someone a
little more familiar with GNOME + Enlightenment will be able to assist you.

> I thank you very much in advance for reading this unusual long letter, and
> for any tip you will e-mail to me on this (minefield) subject.
>
> Truly yours
> Salvo Bartolotta (from Sicily)

	Hope this help,
	-Chris