Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:29:45 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup routine

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:00:34 -0800  Mark Edwards wrote:
 +------------------
 | - Is that a decent backup scenario?
 +------------------

I like it.  I use something similar myself.

 +------------------
 | - Is there a good reason I should use a tape drive instead?
 +------------------

Tape (or cdrw) has a lower margonal byte cost than disk drives but the
conveniance factor is higher for hard drives.

 +------------------
 | - Should I use something other than dump?  I want to make as accurate a
 +------------------

I like dump too.  I think it is easier to use than tar/pax/cpio et all.

 | - Does it make sense to mount/unmount the backup HD as part of the backup
 | routine, so that it will not be evident to a hacker?

You might even consider writing to the block special device with out
mounting at all.

Good Luck.

--
    Chris Fedde