Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 96 07:52:21 CST
From:      gregg@cyrix.com (Greg Grohoski)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   installation from dell ppro 200 / atapi CDROM support

a very experienced friend and i tried installing freebsd 2.1.5
from cdrom on a newly purchased dell xpspro 200 (pentium pro)
which has a 3.2G IDE drive, 1.3G IDE drive, and a Mitsumi 12X
Atapi IDE CDROM.

To make a long story short we ran into several problems.

1) We first tried the install from the Mitsumi CDROM; things
went fine until we tried to link in the "ports" and the install
program asked for the 2nd CD.  We removed the 1st CDROM and
put the 2nd one in.  At this point the CD ceased to work
(as I recall it appeared to be hung).  Eventually we installed
an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card with a SCSI CDROM and got past
this point.

My questions on this issue:
a) is the Mitsumi/Atapi driver known to be this flaky?
b) how high is it on the priority list to become updated?

2) There were 2 DOS partitions on the 3.2G drive (windoze 95
on 1st, 2nd empty).  We installed freebsd on the 1.3G drive,
but wanted to put /home on the 2nd partition on the 3.2G drive.
During the install process, after creating the freebsd partition
on the 3.2G drive, and trying to write the new partition info
to the disk, sysinstall exited with a core dump (SIGINT 11).

eventually my friend was able to configure a file system
on the 2nd partition and then mount /home (glad i had him
around).

my questions:
a) is this a known bug?
b) is this file system/drive configuration "risky"?  i need
a stable system and don't want to be breaking new ground...

thanks for your help,

greg