Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:19:50 -0800
From:      Michael Hoelscher <mhoelsch@ctc.ctc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie Install to former NT Server box - questions

I'm installing FreeBSD [via FTP] for the first time, on a former NT
Server box [Micron PPro200, single CPU, IDE, Dec NIC].
The boot.flp seemed to find all hardware no problem.

1]  While trying to install first time I selected partition A(ll) to FreeBSD,
then tried to continue with Novice install.  It would repeatedly just
toss me back to the main install selection menu, with no error message.
I then chose the "maintain DOS compatibility" option, and got same results.
Went to Custom install, A(ll) to FreeBSD, and installer started writing the
partition info, them gave me a "panic...can't continue without my init",
then a "sync'ing" message, then died.  Is this a WinNT-caused issue?
Finally:
Went to Custom, "maintain DOS compatibiity", and this time it started
actually installing from FTP.  Left the machine working at about 7:30pm
last nite.  This morning found the install frozen at "178176 bytes read
from X331I128 dist @ 7.9kb" during "Extracting X331I128 into /usr/X11R6
directory".
Checked the FAQ, and tried to search manual, but could not find anything
of help to my situation.
Any suggestions as to where I screwed up and/or what best course of
action is?  [I'd really rather give the whole disk to FreeBSD, if that's
possible/prudent.]

Michael Hoelscher, Tech Support Mgr, Internet Coordinator
Pierce College   9401 Farwest Dr SW   Lakewood WA   98498  USA
mailto:mhoelsch@pierce.ctc.edu   253.964.6536 Voice   253.964.7339 FAX
<<<  The above thoughts emanate only from MY cerebral wasteland  >>>
"Character is doing what's right when no one is looking" -- J.C. Watts