Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:41:16 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        Michael Borowiec <mikebo@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing the FreeBSD console

> First of all, in larger companies, development engineers are rarely
> responsible for plant security - and the plant security people are not
> responsible for computer security. So it falls to the UNIX admin...
> It's still a problem, even though you think it's absurd.
>
> Of course, physical access is everything. That's fundamental... However,
> xlock is SUPPOSED to provide a modicum of security. Otherwise it's just a
> screen saver, and then what's the point of it requiring a password?!
>
> My point is simply this: If xlock will not provide the security that
> reasonable people have come to expect, due to keyboard escapes in
> underlying systems, those HOLES should be documented. Not a lot to ask...

You can't blame the X server for being started as a simple user program.
I'd say this is the expected behaviour, and I'd like it that way.

two ways to solve your problem:

use
'exec startx' instead of 'startx' to start your server, so a controlC or
controlZ will just drop you to the login prompt.

or...
run X from init (put it in /etc/ttys), so ppl have their login there,
and not on a text prompt.

All trouble solved.