Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:29:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lib/libF77 and lib/libI77

> I don't know about you, but assuming that any reasonable percentage of
> FreeBSD fortran programmers has made it past that chain of hurdles
> rather strains credulity, and I don't think we're any closer to the
> answer as to just *what* these directories are doing there!  They
> don't build and they're not called by anything I can find, so rather
> than just tossing off a knee-jerk response in reaction a set of file
> names you recognise, why not tell me exactly *how* these files are
> being used by FreeBSD if you want to be of some actual help here, OK? :-)

Personally, I still do physics simulation code in FORTAN.  It's the
best language for it, and the Lawrence Berkeley Labs Physics
libraries are all in FORTRAN.

The one thing that I  do different is I maintain my own versions
of the FORTRAN (libF77) and Intrinsic functions (libI77) libraries
because they don't have linear congruential random number generation
and a number of Floating Point issues.

But I think the FORTRAN libraries, and the f2c translator should
be part of the base system.  Real UNIX systems come with a C
compiler, a FORTRAN compiler, and a Franz LISP interpreter.  That's
how you know they are the real McCoy.

(Yes, I know Solaris and SCO don't come with these -- what does that
say to you?)

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---