Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 22:44:56 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <brian@awfulhawk.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Suggestion for PPP

Hi all,

I've been using ppp for some time now, and have enjoyed how easily it can be
configured to do all sorts of wierd and wonderful things (like PPP over SSH
over TCP.)

My current network setup is a cable modem (configured via DHCP) and a backup
56K analog link using PPP.  My cable modem uses ipfw and natd to do
firewalling and port forwarding, and I would like my PPP link to do the
same.

I realize that I can edit ppp.conf to add all my port forwarding rules, but
would rather not since I use the -f argument to natd, and would rather not
have to keep two files in sync.

My proposal is to add 'nat config <filename>' support to ppp, so that rules
can be loaded from an external file.  I would find this extremely
beneficial, and I hope that others would too.

If anyone thinks that this would be a worthwhile feature to implement,
please drop me a line (I'm not on the freebsd-net list) and I will make it
happen (with the ppp maintainer's blessings, of course.)

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services