Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 02:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freebsdsystems.com>
To:        Charles Peters - Tech Support <support@tecpro.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NFS -vs- Samba

Hi,
Lets make this real simple and short. I am the official Canadian Mirror for
Samba. Just in case you're interested.

NFS is Network File System made by SUN.  NFS allows you to access other UNIX
boxes and in particular, file systems as if they were part of your own system.
An example would be cd /f/www  which in my case means /f is the dir on my local
box that refers to a machine some 20 miles away and www is my web directory. In
this scheme i can cd to that dir and vi or pico any file and modify or what
ever to that file so long as I am the same uid/gid as the remote system has for
my identity.

With Samba it is basically the same. But it is more intended for Windows, DOS
or Mac users to be able to run apps or save files to shares on the Unix box. To
the Doze user, they would see the Unix PC in Network Neighborhood and would
then be able to click on that PC and see/use the shares permitted to them.

As for using Samba in a Unix enviorment you can. The client side is called
smbclient. Here is a sort of picture of me going into another FreeBSD box with
smbclient:

lnb@satan:~$smbclient -L heretic -N

Domain=[FREEBSD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        apps           Disk      Applications Directory
        backups        Disk      Backup Directory
        antivirus      Disk      Norton Antivirus2000
        mike           Disk      mike's directory
        bus-plans      Disk      Business plans for Freedom Technologies
        mp3            Disk      mp3 download directory
        waves          Disk      Directory for .wav files
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (FreedomTC's File & Printer Server
version 2.0.7 on heretic)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        HERETIC              FreedomTC's File & Printer Server version 2.0.7
        SATAN                Freedom Technologies server 2.0.7 on host s

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        FREEBSD              SATAN

Now I will login to that box and do a dir in one of the shares. Remember, BOTH
boxes are FreeBSD

lnb@satan:~$smbclient //heretic/apps -U lnb
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/log.%U
doing parameter max log size = 50
doing parameter name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
doing parameter time server = Yes
doing parameter logon script = netlogin.bat
doing parameter logon path = \\%L\%U\profile
doing parameter logon drive = L
doing parameter logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles
doing parameter domain logons = Yes
doing parameter os level = 65
doing parameter lm announce = True
doing parameter preferred master = Yes
doing parameter domain master = Yes
doing parameter wins support = Yes
doing parameter remote announce = 216.126.88.51 216.126.95.33
doing parameter remote browse sync = 216.126.88.51 216.126.95.33
doing parameter guest account = pcguest
doing parameter create mask = 0644
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=24.69.168.6 bcast=24.69.168.63 nmask=255.255.255.192
Client started (version 2.0.7).
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name heretic<0x20>
bind succeeded on port 0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 24.69.168.8 )
Connecting to 24.69.168.8 at port 139
Password:
Domain=[FREEBSD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]
smb: \>

smb: \> dir
received 9 entries (eos=1)
  .                                   D        0  Wed May 31 12:32:31 2000
  ..                                  D        0  Sat May 27 15:27:11 2000
  PFT.NFO                             A    12382  Thu Aug  5 23:22:36 1999
  FILE_ID.DIZ                         A      522  Thu Aug  5 23:22:36 1999
  ps55full.rar                        A  2915200  Thu Aug  5 21:57:34 1999
  SCOTIABP                            D        0  Fri May  5 11:39:17 2000
  iv_asec30d.exe                           57856  Tue Apr  4 02:18:50 2000
  norton-antivirus2000                D        0  Fri May  5 20:51:20 2000
  photoshop                           D        0  Wed May 31 13:01:05 2000

                47468 blocks of size 131072. 23279 blocks available
Total bytes listed: 2985960
smb: \>
smb: \> cd norton-antivirus2000
dos_clean_name [\norton-antivirus2000\]
dos_clean_name [\norton-antivirus2000\\]
smb: \norton-antivirus2000\>

I did a dir but its too big to put here in mail. However note this. You can use
smbtar to tar files and dir's of remote machines to back them up or just copy
them.

So Samba is very usefull, in fact, probably the most important piece of open
source software today.

Regards,

Lanny

http://freebsdsystems.com