Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:06:23 -0800
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba issues

I also get this error when I run "smbstatus":
#smbstatus
Couldn't open status file /var/spool/lock/STATUS..LCK

I checked and the permissions on the /var/spool/lock directory are 775, as
are the permissions on the /var/spool/samba dir.

After I start the samba.sh script, the processes definitely are running, and

-- oops, I just had an idea while typing this. I remembered to type
"testparm" at the command line, and I found this:

#testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /var/spool/lock should have permissions 0755 for
browsing to work
<<AT this point, I hit ctrl-C, and went to the /var/spool/lock dir. To check
the permissions and change them.>>

I went and changed the permissions to 0755. Restarted samba.sh.  It's
running, and "testparm" no longer gives an error. But smbstatus refuses to
work.  Same error:
Couldn't open status file /var/spool/lock/STATUS..LCK

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Thanks,
Forrest