Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:16:10 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /etc/hosts file ?  FBSD doc suck

Anthony

 I want to thank you for your professional response to my question
 on this list. You were concise and to the point. To bad the other
 repliers who monitor this mailing list don't understand and/or
 comprehend the valuable service this mailing list plays in the
 acceptance of FBSD by mainstream users. I see posts that are obvious
 even to me that they have not researched their problem or not given
 enough info. But to respond to a question that is obviously will
 thought out with a stupid statement of 'read the man page' just shows
 the responder knows less that the questioner. As you know my question
 took a turn for the worst when people started jumping on other
 responder who just don't know how to use the English language to
 comprehend the meaning of the questions subject or how to have a
 professional manner in the correspondences they show to the world.
 I am not offended by people who show there fools and demonstrate
 they lack knowledge of the subject by what they write. That's what
 the delete key is for. My view point is if I can not add some new
 info to the question I just don't reply. Many other readers of this
 list should do the same thing.

 The type of information you provided is what is missing in the FBSD
 handbook. In the technical documentation writers world it's called
 descriptive supporting background information. The handbook and man
 pages are written in a reference style which is targeted at an
 audience who all ready has an in-depth understanding of how things
 work. Some of the man pages you all most have to have the authors
 level of knowledge to understand what it means.

 I have 25 years installing operating systems on large IBM mainframe
 machines. I have read more technical manuals they I care to remember.
 I have seen manuals that are easy to comprehend and some that are so
 bad they should have never been printed. I think I have the
 background to judge how well a technical manual supports a software
 product. So I make this statement as constructive criticism. FBSD
 will never penetrate the main line pc operating system market or
 ever make a dent in Microsoft's market share until the handbook,
 man pages and install procedure become user friendly, up to date
 and current with the version of the software in current distribution.
 These are all lacking in the newly published second edition of the
 FBSD handbook. I hope Wind River the new FBSD supporter will also
 see this and invest in a technical writer to redo the documentation.
 The software product may be the best in it's niche but with out good
 Documentation it will just not become popular.
 Is becoming popular not what we FBSD users want to see?

 Now a comment about what I have comprehended from your answer. It
 looks to me as the host name function in the hosts file is an
 undocumented standard naming convention. The domain name represents
 the handle name you want to know your whole environment by. The
 prefix.domain is the name you use to identify each unique machine on
 the LAN. The alias name is just a short cut name. The names are easier
 to remember that the IP address. Entries of this type are not
 necessary but are generally used as a convenance.
 So if I have these statements
10.0.0.10 gateway.companyname.com gateway
10.0.0.11 winbox1.companyname.com winbox1

 I could ping 10.0.0.10 or ping gateway.companyname.com or ping gateway
 and all the pings would be basically the same.

Thanks again for a job well done
Joe