Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:37:30 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deadlock in vm_fault()

>> I've seen something strange during the same -j12 buildworld. In fact,
>> it was just that ld hang, apparently not doing anything. The rest
>> of the system seemed to be alive. Though in some 3 or 4 hours machine
>> rebooted (it had kernel with broken crash dump generation, so I do
>> not know what actually happened).
>>
>> May it be related?
>>
>> LC> -lq
>>
>> ---
>> Reality is an obstacle to hallucination.
>>
LC> It could very well be. What I saw on my machine was a deadlock between the
LC> exec_map and sh inode, which means all existing processes were running fine,
LC> but to fork() and then exec() a new image hang waiting for the exec_map.
LC> Children of cron piled up as time went by, and eventually that could kill
LC> the system (it's not clear how. I didn't wait for it to happen, I went into
LC> the debugger, took a dump and rebooted).

Unfortunately, your patch does not solve my problem. May be, it is of
different source.

Just now I have it (ld) hanging in the same place:

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
    0  1506  1505   0  28  0   496  384 -      R+    vb    4:14.76 /usr/obj/elf/
usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf/ld -m elf_i386 -Bstatic -o cat /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/
tmp/usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crti.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/
tmp/usr/lib/crtbegin.o -L/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib -L/usr/obj/elf/usr/src
/tmp/usr/lib -L/usr/libdata/gcc cat.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libgcc.a
-lc /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libgcc.a /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/c
rtend.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crtn.o

The strange thing is that I cannot generate a coredump of it with gcore:

root:/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf:grape:> gcore ld 1506
gcore: The executable ld does not belong to process 1506!
Text segment size (in bytes): executable 65793, process 335872

LC> -lq

---
Q:  How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:  None.  The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out
    of the way.