Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:36:39 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Donald Acton" <acton@opentext.com>
Cc:        "acton@stoner.nsg.bc.ca" <acton@stoner.nsg.bc.ca>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fdisk, df, awk, core dump in 3.0

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:15:58 -0800, Donald Acton wrote:

>Yes, the custom kernel was compiled with the "options         MATH_EMULATE"
>specified.

Did you go into the 486's BIOS setup and disable *shadowing*, etc.
Some BIOS *features* were created specifically for DOS and can wreck
havoc on *real* operating systems.  Is you 486SX an Intel part or AMD,
or somebody else??
Sometimes, manufacturer's use the term compatible rather loosely...

I'm running -stable (2.2.8) on an AMD 486DX-66. I started with 2.1.5R,
then installed 2.2.7R, and cvsupped -stable right thru 2.2.8R.

But then, I have an FPU ;o)

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.