Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:05:03 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   null host name for [IPC] mailer

This seems to concern majordomo but is more likely a sendmail problem.

I rebuilt my mail server with a fresh installation of 3.2-STABLE on a
new disk, reconfigured sendmail.cf how I had done it before (for
another sendmail 8.9.x version), and copied aliases, virtusertable, and
all of /usr/local/majordomo from the old disk to the new, then updated
the aliases and virtusertable files, checking that sendmail was looking
for these files in the right places. In the process I must have missed
something silly, and I'm still missing it.

All lists seem to be working except the one that belongs to the virtual
domain. Not every time, but for some list messages, the mail doesn't go
out, sendmail logs the following error:
 SYSERR:(majordomo) null host name for [IPC] mailer
and mailer-daemon sends me a nastygram mentioning this:

Receiving 4
554 null host name for [IPC] mailer
554 <list of subscriber addresses was shown here>... Local configuration error

("Receiving 4" probably refers to the four local subscribers, who seem
to be the only ones to get a copy of the list mail when this happens)

It's a frustratingly nice plain English error message, but I can't
figure out where to start looking for some sneaky blank where a host
name should be. Of course everything looks fine to me but if I knew for
certain where to look my eyes might see clearer and the mistake would
be suddenly obvious. Does this error ring bells for anyone else?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-