Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Short summary

Chuck Paterson writes:
 > BSD/OS SMPng kernel. An MP capable version of this kernel runs
 > virtually the same speed as the Giant lock BSD/OS kernel in a uniprocessor
 > environment. It occurred to me today that in a uniprocessor environment

Chuck,

What sorts of workloads have you made comparisons between the SMPng &
Giant-lock uniprocessor kernels on?  Do you have any quantative
results that state what the cost or benefit of SMPng on a uniprocessor
in a heavily interrupt driven environment is?

I'm curious about tortuous workloads like a firewall between multiple
100Mb or Gigabit network segments, or a saturated Web (or NFS) server
w/multiple disk controllers and network adapters (Eg, workloads like
the imfamous Mindcraft benchmark (in single CPU mode), or SPEC SFS97
or SPEC WEB99).

I'm certainly not trying to stand in the way of progress, I'm just
curious what the quantitative performance difference is like 'on the
edge'

Thanks,

Drew