Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:52:21 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        chris27wjoyner@gmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security questions, seeing more then one dhcp client.

On Aug 21, 2008, at 10:38 PM, Christopher Joyner wrote:

> I am seeing two dhcp clients connected to my wireless router.  Does
> that mean someone other then me is on it?

Do you have a Wii?  Or maybe an iPhone or other similar device?  Or a
network printer?  There is a fair chance that the other client is
something that should be there that you've just forgotten about.
However, there is also also a reasonable chance that it is a security
breach if you are running an unsecured wireless network.

What I would recommend is that you probe the unknown device with
something like nmap (available from ports security/nmap) with
something like

   nmap -O -sV IP-ADDRESS-OF-MYSTERY-DEVICE

That should give you a fair amount of information about the device.

Cheers,

-j