Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:44:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        James Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Chiu <pccb@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: dig and nslookup

*/sbin is for binaries that it is reasonably expected that will be used
only by the system administrator.  I've found that this rule is more noted
in the exceptions to it than in the implementation of it...  But in this
case, it's that way for hysterical raisins: dig is the nslookup
replacement and was repositioned when they realized that nslookup is
useful for others than the sysadmin, but there would have been a bloodbath
if nslookup moved between versions.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, James Wilde wrote:

> [...]

Actually, bind9 is deprecating nslookup, but there seems to be some
resistance to it.  Have a look at isc.org for further reference--I
remember the dig/nslookup thing from bind9-users mailing list there.

> mvh/regards
>
> James

Sacred cows make the best burgers

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!!!