Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problems with DPT RAID (bug?) in oct4 snapshot

Mike Grommet, On 12-Oct-98 you wrote:
>  Hi guys... I've been working with Simon Shapiro with a problem occuring
>  with
>  freebsd 2.2.7 and a dpt raid controller
>  that apparently raises its ugly head on some systems...
>
>  Simon has told me to try out the Oct 4th snapshot as he has not been
>  able to
>  reproduce the problems
>  on this version...
>
>  however, I've been running into some problems trying to install the
>  snapshot...
>  i downloaded the boot.flp, booted it, then proceed to go through the
>  normal
>  install...
>
>  I tell it to use the entire drive, then begin to slice it up into
>  filesystems...
>  I tell it which versions to install, and such, set up the network
>  interface
>  so I can install from the internet as always,
>
>  the problem I have occurs when it tries to newfs the swap partition (and
>  doesnt get any further)
>
>  Debug reports "DEBUG: unknown major/minor for devtype -"
>  ( I believe this is in reference to da0, disk array 0, for raid array)
>
>  I get the message on the debug console where it gives "Cross device
>  link"
>  error in newfs  and then a
>  rewrite label error.
>
>  Install then dies at this point, and never continues...  The install
>  program
>  returns an error, and I get booted back to the menu system.
>
>  Please advise?

Clarification:  The make release of the 4th of October installs correctly
for me.  I see these error messages but the installation works fine
otherwise.  Maybe because the partitions I specifiy already exist.  Maybe
because I have fdisk, with a DOS slice underneath the BSD partitions.

I don't think this is a DPT problem, but again, this may be a large
partition (> 4GB) problem.

>  with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth