Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:14:44 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How can I check for swap space? (4.8-Release)

At 07:16 PM 8/7/2003 -0400, John Mills wrote:
>Freebies -
>
>I just installed 4.8-Release from CDs and let the installer divide my disk
>automatically. Things are acting as though I have little or no active swap
>space.
>
>2. How can I check what I got? (No joy yet from 'fdisk' on that.)

cat /etc/fstab
will show you what gets mounted at boot time.
mount
pstat -T
and disklabel

e.g.
disklabel twed0s1
or
disklabel ad0s1

depending on what you have mounted.

>3. How do I check current memory usage (sim. 'free' in Linux)?

As for memory, top and ps and vmstat are tools that will help you out.  But
each of those have caveats you should be aware of when interperting the
numbers.

         ---Mike
Mike Tancsa,                          	          tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,     			  mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada			  www.sentex.net/mike