Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:05:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkirwan@ix.netcom.com
Subject:   Re: Accessing the source without installing first.

> Hi.  I'd like to study the source code for FreeBSD, but it seems that
> the source isn't readily available unless the operating system is
> installed first.  I'm not really interested in running it, just yet,
> but I am very interested in looking at the kernel code right now.  The
> 'src' directory seems filled with sections of archive files, but I
> don't apparently have the tools handy to read them (I tried the
> sbase.aa file, for example.)  Any suggestions about transferring the
> source code without having to install the O/S?

You need a Unix-like opsys, with gunzip (the other softwares are standard):
cat sbase.aa sbase.ab ... | gunzip | tar xvf -
(or
cat sbase.?? | gunzip | tar xvf -
)

Well, you can use it on DOS, if you have gzip and a tar or pax installed:
copy sbase.aa + sbase.ab + ... tempfile.gz
gzip -d tempfile.gz
tar xvf tempfile - or pax -r -f tempfile

Or on any other OpSys with a gzip and a tar/pax-like archiver.

--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky