Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 12:21:07 +0400
From:      Dmitry Samersoff <dms@wplus.net>
To:        s2209866@cse.unsw.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to see what happen before kernel crash?

> Daniel Wong wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My kernel periodically crashes on me, is there a way to capture the
> kernel output before the kernel reboots itself ? I suspect it might be
> something to do with my changes in the kernel. But I don't know what
> might be causing it.

Here is method I used last two weeks to go throupgh the similar problem.

1.  Compile kernel with debug enable
2.  Check whether you have enough free space on /var/crash
3.  Enable dump in /etc/rc.conf
3.  When kernel died press <Ctrl-Alt-ESC>
    and then try to debug it or just type panic, and
    analyze crash dump saved in var crash ...

--
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net