Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:29:52 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cron Problem

At 12:14 09/21/2000 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>can anyone kindly point me to any reason why cron seems to be asleep in my
>systems -4.1-STABLE?
>No periodic processes are being run.
>
>Here are the messages I got for last night.
>
>Sep 21 03:00:02 alouette squid[283]: storeDirClean:
>/usr/local/squid/cache/08/71
>: (23) Too many open files in system

Already, right there...

You've got something opening up too many file descriptors.. keep in mind
"file descriptors" on unix means not just any file, but anything that is
accessed as a file.

Just for example, I've seen this kind of thing happen occasionally with
samba when it barfs and you get hundreds or thousands of nmbd's running at
once.

Most likely something you're running that's totally unrelated to cron is
eating up file descriptors in a loop and causing everything else to
malfunction.  Check for a madly out-of-control process with ps -auxc and
see what you come up with.. then figure out what is configured wrong with
that program.

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org