Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 16:36:50 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems routing IPX, 2.2-960801-SNAP

Hi,

  I'm doing my first test using FreeBSD to route IPX.  It worked for the
first few days, but does not work anymore.  The system panics 5 minutes
after booting.  The message says that there was a Page Fault while in
kernel.

  If I disable IPX (in rc.local) the system works perfectly.  Is there a
BUG in IPX kernel ?  Is there something I can do to help debugging IPX
kernel code ?

  The machine is intended to be just a router, nothing more.  No users,
no more services.  Only routed, mrouted and IPXrouted.  My configuration
is as follows:

/etc/rc.local extract:

echo -n " IPXrouted"
/usr/sbin/IPXrouted -s
sysctl -w net.ipx.ipx.ipxforwarding=1 2>&1 > /dev/null

config file:

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		SWAMPY
maxusers	8
config		kernel	root on wd0

options		"COMPAT_43"
options		UCONSOLE
options		INET			#Internet communications protocols

options 	IPX			#IPX/SPX communications protocols
options 	IPX_ERRPRINTFS=0	#IPX/SPX Console Debugging Information
options 	IPXPRINTFS=0		#IPX/SPX Console Debugging Information

pseudo-device	ether			#Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device	loop			#Network loopback device
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4	#Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	disc			#Discard device

options		MROUTING		# Multicast routing
options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
#options        IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
					# dropped packets
#options	"IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100" #limit verbosity
options 	IPDIVERT		#divert sockets

# One of these is mandatory:
options		FFS			#Fast filesystem
#options 	NFS			#Network File System
#options 	NFS_NOSERVER		#Disable the NFS-server code.
#options	"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 filesystem

pseudo-device	pty	8	#Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
pseudo-device	speaker		#Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
pseudo-device	log		#Kernel syslog interface (/dev/klog)
pseudo-device	gzip		#Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	vn		#Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device	snp	1	#Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..

controller	isa0

options		"AUTO_EOI_1"
#options	"AUTO_EOI_2"		# Nao funciona na SWAMPY

device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options		ATAPI_STATIC	#Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

#device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
#device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
#device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 3 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
device ed1 at isa? port 0x340 net irq 4 iomem 0xe0000 vector edintr
device ed2 at isa? port 0x320 net irq 5 iomem 0xe8000 vector edintr

device pca0 at isa? disable port IO_TIMER1 tty

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br