Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:52:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Union mount of fdesc on top of /dev

> >I really don't know what /dev/std* is for;
> [deleted]
> >used in the "open" call -- that's what /dev/fd/* is for).
>
> Personally, I find std{in,out,err} more descriptive than /dev/fd/{0,1,2}.
> As I understand it, POSIX specifes the names rather than the numbers.

I was unable to find it in my copy of "Go Solo 2".

I actually find stdio, stdout, stderr to be descriptive of the
standard I/O library binding currently in effect (and not really
an "fd" thing at all).

> >One drawback, though, is that the ideal place to do something like
> >this is by adding a "handler" for a portion of the devfs namespace
> >(like the /dev/pty/ handler would want to be),
>
> Isn't this a job for portals?  (Or have I misunderstood their use).

Not quite a job for portals.  A portal lets you treat an instance
of a program as a file.  We're looking for something that lets you
have a process-private view of /dev/fd/*, which wouldn't work if
you wre looking at it from another process.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.