Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:02:43 -0600
From:      "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What anti-sniffer measures do i have?

I use Intel 460T standalone switches, and they have the ability to keep the
database from learning new MAC addresses, and you can manually program the
MAC addresses to each port.

This is much safer than default configuration, but it takes a lot of the
convenience of the switches ability to handle changes.

I'm not necessarily saying they are better than others, I don't like some of
the features they have, and I haven't tried many other switches.

I could go either way for security or convenience, but most networks don't
change like mine does, so the call would up to the person that has to
maintain those switch databases, and what tools are available to automate
that process. Any "good" SNMP software would probably suffice in allowing
you to remotely make database changes, and monitor the switches as well.
another nice thing with these is they have the ability to use BOOTP so the
configs can be centrally located.

Chuck