Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:26:14 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Mats Dufberg <dufberg@sunet.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1GB Memory?

On the subject of Re: 1GB Memory?, David Greenman stated:

> >D'oh!  I knew those were there... I've been ignoring them out of habit
> >since FreeBSD 3.0 now correctly probes memory size...  Apparently the
> >default probe doesnt set the max datasize to the max value however.  Thanks
> >for pointing this out -- I think its time for bed now :)
>
>    Uh, the maximum datasize is a per-process limit on virtual memory and has
>    nothing to do with the amount of physical memory in the machine.

Good point, again I really ought to sleep.  Technically wouldnt it be accurate
to say that the maxdsize should be the amount of physical memory plus the
amount of swap available?

-Crh

       Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@flnet.com

                       http://orbit.flnet.com/~henrich