Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:24:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EXA 8200 tape drive on FreeBSD?

As Peter van Heusden wrote...
> On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>

> > Well, not that it solves your problem, but I also have a 8200 on a ncr810
> > and that one works. Has done so for years.
> >
> > More specific it has firmware:
> >
> > Aug  7 22:17:20 yedi /kernel: (ncr1:3:0): "EXABYTE EXB-8200 2687" type 1
> > removable SCSI 1
>
> Thanks for the info. Mine gives a slightly different dmesg output:
>
> (ncr0:6:0): "EXABYTE EXB-8200 253G" type 1 removable SCSI 1
>
> So, its a slightly different model, maybe with an older firmware
> (are firmware upgrades possible on these drives?) However, since it is a

Slightly different firmware, the model is the same. You can upgrade the
firmware, it is a 2 EPROM swap. One EPROM contains the servo code, it is
(in my case) conveniently (...) located below the head drum. The other
EPROM is on the scsi interface board of the Exabyte.

See www.exabyte.com for the firmware. NOte that the servo code and scsi f/w
need to be 'matched', not every combination works according to Exabyte.

> similar model, I was wondering what you do to use a tape. The tape I'm
> trying to use is an Exabyte 112m tape, and as I said before, I tried a 'mt
> erase' before using the tape.

I do nothing special, not even an erase. 112m tapes should be OK as they use
'm myself.

Wilko