Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 19:13:59 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to get around failing reverse DNS lookups?

I run a caching-only DNS on Windows NT server at work to speed up
frequently used lookups, because our "real" DNS servers are distant and
slow (long story omitted). This particular server is not registered by
its actual name, although the IP address does belong to me (another long
story).

Certain operations such as FTP connections to my FreeBSD box are slow
because of this -- the inability to perform a reverse lookup (IP to host
name). I have placed an entery in the hosts file, but it does not help.

Short of fully registering my server, and without violating Internet
policy, is there a way to improve on this? My only guess is to manually
load an entery for the missing server in the DNS table, but I don't
think that is possible when running WinNT DNS in cache-only mode.

--
Gary Dunn
Knowledge Tree