Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:17:01 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        pini0n <pini0n@brokenmachine.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question regarding FreeBSD and Linux

G'day,

> How similar are linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Im running Slackware 7 w/out a GUI like X or KDE, and so am curious as
> to how similar the directory structures are, commands, etc.  Itll be
> another week or two before Im able to install it, so, I thought Id get a
> heads up on now on how similar the experience will be.

Ok. From a 'shell' level, very. On both there are all the usual shells
available (csh, sh, bash, zsh, ksh, etc.), most of the same commands
(e.g. who, finger, ping, traceroute, etc.), all the usual 'unixy' stuff.
And under you own user directory you can create your own tree as you
would on any other unix system.

Now, within the System directories things get a little different.
Caveat, my experience so far has been with fBSD-2.2.8. I'm in the
process of going to 3.3, but not there as yet. So, with that in mind,
there may be (most likely are) some differences with the later fBSD that
I will have 'wrong'.

For me, I dislike the SystemV/Linux useage of the /etc/rc.d.<n>
directories to control "run-levels". I prefer everything in the rc files
in /etc - it's all there, and you either run single user mode, or you
run multi-user mode. No, Single with X, multi without X, multi with X,
all that stuff - I'm a simple Analyst, let's keep it simple. I like that
in BSD.

I find, for me, the comfort of having a central team QA the releases
(ok, bugs still slip through, they're only human, processes break down
:'), and I can be pretty sure that all that is released in a "version"
of FreeBSD will actually work on that version. Without having to upgrade
this obscure library from here, there or somewhere else. The order and
the control is comforting for someone from a "real" Operating System
environment.

The chaos in the Linux world is great for others. They enjoy having
completely unique configurations - I tried it, and decided that it just
'wasn't me'.

Either is an excellent way for you to break the shackles of 'the evil
empire'. Either is a great way to learn to drive Unix, and even program
in that environment. There are many many similarities that to non-techo
would make them ask "what's the difference?". Under the hood there are
some very real differences - for example, FreeBSD performs considerably
better under load, making it more suited to 'server' situations.

Linux has more 'bleeding edge' "toys" (e.g. it had VMware first), and
that appeals to some.

Me, I like the rock-solid stability, the great performance, and the
elegant way the system files are layed out. But, I am also almost as
equally at home on one of my collegue's Linux machine - once you know
what the differences are in the directory structures.

All of the above is my opinion, and may change at any time :')

haxxa