Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:27:42 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: new linux infrastructure ports are committed

Quoting "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org> (from Thu, 2 Apr 2009 =20
12:33:42 -0500 (CDT)):

> What cannot be MFC'd besides TLS and NPTL?  For syscalls that cannot =20
> be MFC'd, can calls be written that help to some degree without =20
> breaking ABI?  The wiki page[1] is incomplete on what changes are to =20
> be MFC'd.  I can say that fstatat64() seems popular (called by rm) =20
> in /var/log/messages.

*at() can not be MFCed as it would change the native VFS ABI (Roman =20
implemented the FreeBSD side of *at() calls to be able to emulate the =20
linux *at() calls).

As you noticed, this is a major point in 2.6.16 emulation.

Another thing which is in current but AFAIK not in stable is the brand =20
detection stuff, but I think this is not so critical to have in =20
RELENG_7.

Other changes may or may not be MFCable, but AFAIK nobody took the =20
time to compare RELENG_7 with CURRENT and had a careful look at the =20
differences. Anyway, as *at is a major part and can not be MFCed, =20
2.6.16 + linux base f8 is not a supported combination in RELENG_7. If =20
it works for you feel lucky, if it does not work for you... that's bad =20
luck.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
A woman must be a cute, cuddly, naive little thing -- tender, sweet,
and stupid.
=09=09-- Adolf Hitler

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137