Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:03:56 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: interesting device full issue on jail host machine

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> [...]
> pid 80941 (tcsh), uid 5051 inumber 166876 on /local/jails/jail1:
> filesystem full
>
> [...] Is the "inumber 166876" an inode inside the filesystem?   Or
> what does it refer to?

It is an inode number of the filesystem that has been mounted to
/local/jails/jail1. Inodes in a filesystem are uniqe, but each
filesystem holds its own inode numbers that have nothing to do with
inode numbers of an other filesystem.

> [...]
> My interesting issue is that on ssh login to OTHER JAILS on other /
> dev/md type filesystems, that had nothing to do with that jail or
> filesystem, login was prevented as the login process would print a
> similar message  to the one above in the login window over and over  and
> over and would never complete login.

That sounds weird. Have you checked the output of 'df -ih' at the host?
I like to see it.

Regards
Björn