Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:32:51 -0500
From:      WOLF <travis@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi FreeBSD,

        I am extremely interessted in FreeBSD, and up to this point have
been very impressed with the Installation and help from the Online Manuals I
have read.  I was wondering though if you could help me out with a problem I
am having installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 on one of my machines.  OK, the machine
is a 386DX with 8Mb ram and a 41Mb hard drive.  I have a boot floppy (which
I downloaded) and I boot up with it.  I configure my kernel appropriatly (no
conflicts) and change necessary settings to support my network card.  I then
exit and it loads up the installation screen.  I try novice and go through
the steps.  When making my first partion I use all of the 41Mb and make it a
BSD partion. I then go to the next step and mounts. the "/" route mount i
allocate 20Mb to it.  For the swap I allocate about 10M.  The rest of the
space a use for the "/usr" mount (about 11Mb).  I then select floppy for the
type of media I wish to use.  I get to the final step where I commit and I
get these errors:

when the tabs in the label editor is "Y" for the "/" and "/usr" i get the
message:

"Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rwd0a!
Command returned status 36"

when the tabs in the label editor is "Y" for the "/" and "/usr" i get the
messages:

"Warning: using existing root partion. It will be assumed that you have the
appropriate device entries already in /dev"

then I get:

"Warning: FSCK returned status of 136 for /dev/rwd0a. This partion may be
unsafe to use."

In both of these situations the installation never completes.

One thing I would like to mention is that before I tryed installing FreeBSD
I was playing around in my CMOS and accidently replaced my configurations
for my hard drive with the autodetect configurations (autodetect
configuration was different than my originals).  After that I tryed to
reboot and the computer would boot up but it kept giving me hard drive
errors and said "missing Operation System" and just sat there.  SO I
reconfigured the hard drive with my own configurations.  I also did a format
in CMOS.  I then booted up and installed DOS 6.2 to assure that my new hard
drive CMOS settings would work.  DOS installed and everything worked once I
rebooted.

I hope you can help me in any way, I have been troubleshooting this problem
for day and nights and I have still not figured out why I cant install
FreeBSD.  Any information at all would be extremely appreciated.

        Thank you

                        Brandon