Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:56:55 -0500
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        Veaceslav Revutchi <sl@dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: late collisions, how to detect them?

I think freebsd just increments the input/output error counter on the
device driver for ethernet errors like late collisions, bad checksums,
and frame alignment.

The netstat -i command lists the input/output errors.  The driver for
the ethernet card would have access to what ever the ethernet chip
tracks.  You could write a program to get the individual error counts.

If you see your ierror or oerror counters increasing between a couple of
invocations of netstat -i, you have a physical layer problem.  Check the
transeiver, cabling, nic card.

johnl