Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:13:34 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, DrAcO <XDrAcOX@mci2000.COM>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X-Windows

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 01:57:39AM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 08:02 PM 6/12/98 -0700, Donald Burr wrote:
> >* Enlightenement -- not a clone of anything, but a really cool looking WM.
> >  It, too, has its own set of devoted followers.
> >        /usr/ports/x11/enlightenment
>
> Yikes!  I had to comment on Enlightenment.  First of all, don't use it on a
> 486, it's too slow.  Secondly, it resembles a lot of those Adobe Photoshop
> plugins, seriously!  It's SO overly graphical that it's hard to make heads
> or tails of (it looks like the guy who used to do the Wired Magazine
> layouts designed it ;-).  But I found it to be interesting anyway.

It's also quite buggy (the 0.13 releases anyway, but that's to be expected)
and while you can configure it to look like pretty much anything you want,
configuring it to behave the way you want is another matter.

> Also of mention in FreeBSD is xdm, a windows manager that can help
> integrate several different X-clients.

xdm isn't a window manager. At its simplest, xdm is a graphical replacement
for getty and login, letting you log in to X straight away, with no
intermediate console login and then having to type 'startx' (or whatever
you use), although it can do more than that.

> For those that haven't, try typing xdm while logged on as root (only
> root can use it).

Nope. It's meant to be started by root, probably as one of the things in
/etc/rc.local (there's a FAQ question about this).

> It's pretty cool - the only problem is, it's hard to get rid of - when
> you exit it, it keeps coming back!  The only way I know of to get rid of
> it is to open a terminal window as root and type 'killall xdm'
> (without the single quotes).  There are probably things you can edit in
> the config files, too.  But give xdm a try once you start playing with
> some different X clients.

That's the point. xdm is managing your login, so when you quit X xdm thinks
you've logged out, and throws up another login prompt.

xdm is great if you've got a few fast computers that people can connect to,
and lots more slower workstations running X, and you just want to provide
a simple mechanism for the user community to get in to X.

It's less useful on a single user workstation (unless you *know* that
you're going to be running X as soon as your computer finishes booting,
in which case you may as well use it, and put a pretty picture on the
"Login" background :-) )