Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:25:47 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Knightmare <knightmare@cyberdude.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GL/Mesa/3dfx in FreeBSD

Knightmare:
 |I have a diamond monster 3d, 4MB (supports 3dfx with a voodoo 1 chip..).
 |I installed Mesa, installed xlockmore (in the ports...) and ran some of
 |the GL savers. Like Sproingies and morph3d. They ran really slowly. I
 |know it could go faster... Quake 1 and 2 run smoothly with my current
 |setup under Win95. Why is it running so slow? My 2D card is a diamond

 |Stealth64 with 1MB. Is it actually using my 3dfx card?

Probably not.  3dfx hardware support is imbedded in a 3dfx-proprietary
library that 3DFX hasn't delivered for FreeBSD.  There is one for Linux
though, and by jumping through hoops this can be made to work on FreeBSD -
but only with entirely Linux binaries/shared libs/etc.etc.  Bit of a pain.

 |And how can I get Quake 1 and 2 working in FreeBSD? The Linux ports give
 |me crap. Should I be able to use these?

Might check out.  Linux GLQuake works OK for me with my Pure3D:

     http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/quake/

Randall