Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 19:11:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Glen W Mann <gmann@itw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Pentium - sio0 (and mouse) not found

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Glen W Mann wrote:
>
> > Summore:  The mouse is on COM1.  If I remove my modem, which is on COM2,
> > Freebsd finds both ports and the mouse works.  The modem is somehow
> > preventing COM1 from being accessed.  I'm lost.  What could cause this?
> > With the PC I got a plug and play modem.  Freebsd doesn't seem to find
> > this, though I haven't really looked into it.  Is pnp supported?  BTW the
> > motherboard does have a PS/2 port but its not connected.
>
> See if you can force the modem to use COM2 by jumpers. PnP will be
> officially supported in 2.2.6, in the meantime there are patches on the
> 2.2.5 CD.
>
> Plug&pray modems bite :(

Do you think USB will be better?  I suppose that PnP doesn't work well is
a known fact.  Anyway I rearranged the COM ports - I have mouse on COM2
and modem (not PnP) on COM1. I still wouldn't mind a guess as to why I
could not do the reverse (mouse on COM1, modem on COM2).  Could this be a
BIOS bug or defective motherboard?  I've finally figured out the MB
manufacturer - PCChips model M571.  Hope Windoze NT can deal with this
(sort of).

Thanks
-Glen Mann, a Shredd.