Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:05:32 -0700
From:      Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OS upgrade planning?

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their help with my odd problems. This is just a
"venture an opinion if you have a moment" question.

Problem: need to upgrade FreeBSD 4.3 on a production machine.
My plan so far - feel free to shoot this down :P

DEFINITIONS:
- Drive1/Master = D1
- Drive2/Slave = D2
- Production Machine ID = PD
- Staging Machine ID: SM
- Shared = Contains client data. mail, website files, mySQL DBs etc.

PD: 2 drives
SM: 2 drives

# 1: PM:D2 - make Shared
# 2: move all "shared" data to PM:D2
# 3: symlink from filesystem on PM:D1 to PM:D2
# 4: SM:D1 - install latest FreeBSD stable.
# 5: SM:D2 - make into a Shared partition
# 6: symlink from filesystem on SM:D1 to SM:D2
# 7: test SM
# 8: Replace PM:D1 with SM:D1

In theory I should now be able to swap PM:D1 with newer installed versions
from SM:D1 whenever I have installed and tested them.

I know I can do a "make buildworld" but I quite like the idea of swapping
out one drive with another (via sled) as this means reverting takes less
than a minute and testing can be at my leisure.

I am also a little scared of doing a buildworld on a production machine in
case it all goes horribly wrong :)

Anyway, thoughts, ideas and suggestions gratefully received.

TIA

Steve