Date:      21 Jun 2001 13:14:26 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        evilfry@sg.freebsd.org
Cc:        smoke <smoke@scrtc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adsl on freebsd 4.3

On 21 Jun 2001 11:32:32 +0800, James Lim wrote:

> 2) what are supported in your isp? PPPoE / PPPoA / PPTP?

Note that PPPoE isn't necesarilly used by all ADSL providers. I know
that Internode in Adelaide, South Australia provide Direct IP over ADSL
meaning you essentially plug your NIC into your ADSL router.

Your ADSL Interface may be something that needs to be configured. I know
the USB Alcatel Device needs a kernel recompile in Linux -- I'm not even
sure if FreeBSD supports it. USB is icky, though :-)

smoke: Can you ping another box on the other end of the NIC? You'd best
work in a manner that you can diagnose whether or not each element of
the connection works or not.

   - andrew

--
void signature () {