Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 13:12:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: turning on and reprobing scsi devices?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980404115620.27699A-100000@control.colossus.dyn.ml.org> you wrote:
> I had always thought that it was a Very Bad Idea to turn on/off SCSI
> devices while the system is running.  But, from some of the things
> I've been reading in the newsgroups and things I've heard, it seems
> that there are people that do this fairly frequently, with no ill
> effects.
>
> So what's the definite answer?

It shouldn't cause a problem.

> Also, once I turn on a scsi device, how do I get the system to recognize
> it (i.e. re-probe the bus)?

In CAM you do this with the camcontrol program.  In stable and current,
there is a facility to rebrobe the bus (scsi -r???), but I wouldn't
suggest using it.  If it works, it does so by accident.  The old code
was not very careful about dealing with open devices that went away
and could get really confused in some reprobe scenarios.

--
Justin