Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:06:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        William van den Berg <barney@atlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web interface

> I'm a total newbie in the UNIX field, so kindly excuse me if my question
> is off.
>
> Does the FreeBSD package include a Web interface that allows one to
> administrate one's Web server (like adding and managing domains, POPs,
> etc.)?

That's entirely a function of which HTTP (Web) server you install.
(This isn't Micro$oft; we don't think a Web server is properly part
of the OS; nor do we attempt to dictate which one you use.)

Some of the available Web servers are:

Apache, the most popular Web server in the world.  (Over half of
all web in the world sites are running some form of Apache.)  I
believe that there is a project to add Web-based administration
to the Apache package; but I don't know it's status.

	http://www.apache.org/

Stronghold is a popular commercial secure Web server derived from
Apache.  The licence fee includes the necessary licences to use the
encryption technology in the USA.  Stronghold has some Web based
admin functionality.

	http://stronghold.c2.net/

I'm not sure whether any of the Netscape servers are available in
native FreeBSD forms; but I believe that their Linux versions run
in the FreeBSD Linux emulation mode.  Netscape server packages
virtually require you to use their Web based admin facilities.

	http://www.netscape.com/

-Pat