Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:28:59 +0100
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Startup problems with openldap and nss_ldap

Hi list,

Since my last protupgrade i am having severe startup problems.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh had already taken quite some time in the
past, but now it has become even worse.
I interrupted with ^C after a few minutes, and when i tried to login as
root on the console, i had to wait again for some minutes.

There seems to be a chicken/egg pproblem here:
slapd is by default started with "-u ldap -g ldap", but this requires a
ruuning slapd to resolve "ldap", although it is in the local files.

What also concerns me, is that even root login is hindered by slapd not
running, although the root password is, of course, stored locally.

I found out that i can remedy this situation by starting slapd simply
with "/usr/local/exec/slapd", i.e. as root, but i think the default
startup as "ldap" is there for a reason.

Is there any clean solution for this?

My configuration:

root@antsrv1 [~] # uname -r
5.4-RELEASE-p8

root@antsrv1 [~] # pkg_info -Ix ldap
nss_ldap-1.244      RFC 2307 NSS module
openldap-client-2.2.30 Open source LDAP client implementation
openldap-server-2.2.30 Open source LDAP server implementation
pam_ldap-1.8.0      A pam module for authenticating with LDAP
root@antsrv1 [~] #

root@antsrv1 [~] # cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
group: files[success=return] ldap
#group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files[success=return] ldap
#passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

Thanks for any help,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341