Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Asikuma@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie

This is covered in great detail in both the FreeBSD Handbook (ch 12) and
Greg Lehey's book, The Complete FreeBSD (ch 9, 10).

If you have the specs on your monitor and card you can set this info
manually. The really important stuff is the horizontal and vertical scan
rates and the max resolution.

I just did this for my Laptop which has a NeoMagic 2070 video built in.
Using XF86Setup, there is an entry for NeoMagic. I started with that one
and edited the hor. and vertical numbers slightly.

Either book has great information, the handbook is of course online, but I
find the printed version a great reference.