Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:19:49 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        max@rnd.runnet.ru (Maxim A. Bolotin)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer ALTOS 7000 instalation problem.

On Feb 16, max@rnd.runnet.ru (Maxim A. Bolotin) wrote:
> I've some prob. When It run kernel, and try to probe PCI bus, It hang.

Please give some more information about your
system, and the version of FreeBSD you are
trying to install:

1) Chip set (vendor and type)
2) Version of FreeBSD (2.1.x or 2.2.x)

> I've old Acer, It's
> ALTOS 7000, P5-66, ONLY EISA bus, I installed FreeBSD on It,
> But I installed it on other comp, and than plug that HDD in ALTOS with
> new kernel without PCI bus controller. What can you propose than ?
> How can I turn off PCI probing ?

You can build a kernel without PCI support
(remove the line "controller pci0" and all
the PCI specific drivers), and install it
under a non-default name, eg. /kernel.altos.

Move over the drive to your ALTOS 7000 and
enter /kernel.altos at the "Boot: " prompt.

The PCI probe really should work, if you
are using a recent version of FreeBSD. If
it doesn't, then I'll need some debug output
from a boot on your system, and will then
fix the PCI code ...

Regards, STefan