Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:35:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   GNOME's panel and signal 6

I've looked up this problem on both gnome's site, and the FreeBSD mailing
list archive, but I can't find anything current on it.

I'm running the latest gnome* on FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE (built from source
out of ports), and periodically all my applets in the gnome panel like to
short out with a SIGABRT (signal 6) when gnome starts up.  I'm using
sawfish-0.34 as window manager, but the problem also happens under
afterstep.  It seems to be a panel-related problem, but it doesn't seem to
occur on my friends' Linux boxes.  Admittedly, I have not recompiled with
debugging symbols, but I wanted to know if anyone else had run into this
problem, and if they found a way to workaround or fix it.  The best thing
I've found so far (and I'm sure this is a 100% successful workaround) is
to disable event sounds.

Thanks.

Joe Clarke

--
Joe Clarke, CCIE #5384             |          |
Customer Support Engineer        |||||      |||||