Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:10:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What release do I need to get rfork_thread()

Ronald F. Guilmette writes:
> I was just reading about the new library function, rfork_thread().
>
> The man page I was looking at said "HISTORY... first appeared in
> FreeBSD 5.0".
>
> Humm... I'm still running 3.3 here.
>
> Is the rfork_thread() library function available in FreeBSD 4.1?
> If so, I'll upgrade ASAP.  If not, then I don't know if I'm brave
> enough to be a beta tester for 5.0.

Well, anyone can download 3.5 and run it. Check the handbook on
"staying current with FreeBSD". I'd recommend using the PRE_SMPNG tag
the first time around.

On the other hand, you're probably a lot better off asking the author
to MFC the function, then updating to 4.1-STABLE (see "staying stable
with FreeBSD" in the handbook). If he MFC's it, you'll get it
gratis. If he doesn't, you'll be in a lot better position to try
making it work yourself - assuming he hasn't explained why it won't
work.

If you have to stay with 3.x, repeat the above with 3.5-STABLE instead
of 4.1.

Oh yeah - the source is in the CVS repository; it's in
lib/libc/i386/gen.

	<mike