Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:42:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documentation plan?

> Yow. Halt. Slow down.
>
> There's about to be a considerable amount of time and effort invested
> in migrating the Handbook from the LinuxDoc DTD to the DocBook DTD, and
> a large chunk of work has already gone into making sure that this can
> be done without affecting the current content.

Which is fine and probably a very necessary prerequisite to any such
transition in the future.  I also didn't say that the entire baby
should be thrown out with the bathwater, simply that any truly
polished looking Handbook/FAQ/Tutorial combined document is going to
require so much reshuffling that it'd probably be easier to just start
from scratch and slowly bring in pieces from the previous work(s)
until you finally ended up with a wholly new body of work.

Consider this, for example: Any reasonably well-designed handbook
takes great pains to make each and every logical section map to the
same sort of "skill-set sine wave", e.g. each starts with the basic
concepts, talks about more in-depth concepts towards the middle and
then closes with either the hairy details or (better yet) pointers to
further reading in the "hairy detail section."  This way you can leap
to any section in the handbook and know precisely how much if it
you're going to have to read depending on what you want to know.

The current handbook is nothing like this - each author had different
ideas about how far in-depth to go or at what level to start out with,
resulting in something which plots a lot more like an EEG than a sine
wave on the skill curve.  How would you propose to fix that problem
without the literary equivalent of a chain saw?  I don't see how.

					Jordan