Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:36:15 -0600
From:      dannyman <dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org>
To:        "Andrew J. Bourke" <andrew.bourke@ACS-Mac-Server.Dentistry.Dal.CA>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding ports

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 04:53:03PM -0400, Andrew J. Bourke wrote:
> (v2.2.5)
> I got up and running, compiled the kernel, added myself as a user with
> adduser - but now I can only install ports as root.  If I am not logged in
> as root, all the ftp attempts fail.  Login as root and they install without
> any problems...
>
> Is there a security issue here that may be causing this??

If you are in a group that is shared with root, you could make directories
in the ports hierarchy group-writeable ... but then, you would still want
to be root for "make install" operations.

The easy way, imho, is just to su and make install, though ymmv.

man chmod :)

--
  //Dan   -=-     This message brought to you by djhoward@uiuc.edu    -=-
\\/yori   -=-    Information - http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward/   -=-