Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:36:42 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Matt W." <kmx@egatobas.org>, misc@openbsd.org, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron fan problems (was: laptop cpu fan)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> [originally posted to misc@OpenBSD.org; adding mobile@FreeBSD.org]
>
> On Thursday,  8 February 2001 at  0:08:17 -0600, Matt W. wrote:
> > I've got a Dell Inspirion 5000e and was wondering if there is anyway to
> > get obsd 2.8 to run a nop loop in the background when the processor
> > isn't being used.  The reason i ask this is the cpu fan is on constantly
> > even when nothing is happening.
>
> I've noticed a similar problem with my Inspiron 7500 running FreeBSD.
> I think it's a bug in the OS.  What I'm observing is that after
> booting the fan will be off, but if at some time the system gets hot
> enough to turn on the fan, it never goes off again.  APM does work on
> the 7500, and if I suspend and resume, the fan goes on immediately on
> resume, even though the system is cool.  The only way to stop it is to
> reboot.  Has anybody else noticed this?

Me too, using an Inspiron 3700 under FreeBSD 4.2. However, after the fan
has been working for a while, I can stop it suspending and resuming
inmediately. What I find strange is that the fan turns on few hours
after booting the system, even when it has been mostly idle all the time.

> A NOP loop won't make the processor run any cooler.  A HLT instruction
> will, and that's what FreeBSD does, at any rate.  I'd be surprised if
> OpenBSD didn't do the same thing.

I wonder why apm_cpu_idle() (in sys/i386/apm.c) is referenced from
nowhere in the kernel.

-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **