Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:57:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd and ISPs

QPOPPER being slow, is usually the result of the machine, and/or the
DNS configuration used. Personally I'd highly reccomend using cucipop
instead of qpopper; it doesn't have all of the security issues that
qpopper does, and it runs standalone, (you don't use inetd). It runs
much faster, (in my experience anyhow), under higher loads. I have
setup many mail servers now, some with >20000 users all using cucipop -
works much better than qpopper. Just install cucipop from the ports
collection, and start it with the following command:

/usr/libexec/cucipop -Y

Add a similar line to your /etc/rc.local file,
or /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pop3.sh file to make cucipop run when the system
is booted up.

> Hello all.
> I'm in the process of learning more about FreeBSD. To be honest I
have
> spend hard times (I'm sorry I came from MS world). FreeBSD works and
> installed without problems, things is that I still need to get used
to work
> with it.
> Anyway, I finally could instalL QPOPER (from the PORTS area) but
works VERY
> SLOW.
> My testing and learning machine is a PII 350Mhz 128RAM 1 Hd 8GB, I'm
> running only apache,mysql and smtp (learning how to configure all)
under
> FreeBSD 3.2
> Since it is my testing machine it doesn't matter if QPOPPER is slow
but
> this sure couldn't be a production machine for an ISP business.
> How can I do that QPOPPER runs faster?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> JB

Nathan Vidican